Friday, February 5, 2010

Super Bowl XLIV: The Saints Come Marching In


Loyal readers know that I am no Nostradamus when it comes to predictions. Generally speaking, my sports prognostications are about as reliable as Brett Favre in crunch time. However, my failings in this area are bound to be short-lived. I say this because I am unusually confident about my prediction for Super Bowl XLIV. While most of the country seems to be forecasting a victory for Peyton Manning and the Colts, I am sensing a different vibe. I expect the New Orleans Saints to be hoisting that Vince Lombardi trophy on Sunday night in Miami.

Why am I so certain that there will be an eventual parade down Bourbon street? Well, for starters, the media hype surrounding this Super Bowl has been eerily reminiscent of the hype that surrounded the New England Patriots and New York Giants two years ago. Remember when everybody dismissed the G-Men as just a nice fairly tale story with no real shot at defeating the Goliath that was the Pats? Remember when everybody was drooling with praise all over Tom Brady, leaving poor little Eli Manning to cower in Brady's shadow? Well, 60 minutes and one incredible David Tyree catch later, the Giants were Super Bowl champions, pulling off one of the greatest upsets in Super Bowl history. Flash forward two years. This time the New Orleans Saints are the nice fairy tale story, lifting the spirits of an entire city en route to an NFC title. This time the New Orleans Saints are expected to get thoroughly thumped by the Goliath known as the Colts. This time Drew Brees is the quarterback getting criminally overlooked, as Peyton Manning basks in the spotlight. Well, my friends, all this has convinced me that the Saints will win.

It will by no means be easy. Peyton Manning will deliver his usual excellence, and the Colts defense, with or without Dwight Freeney, will be more effective than people anticipate. Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, and company are going to need to bring their A-game if they want to be king of the football world. Ultimately, however, I think the Saints are up to the challenge. When all is said and done, the Saints will lift the city of New Orleans to a state of true euphoria. And just as it occurred two years ago, David will beat Goliath.

PREDICTION: New Orleans-28, Indianapolis-24


No comments: