Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Random Observations: LCS Edition


In the words of the great San Francisco Chronicle sports columnist Scott Ostler, here are my deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots:

---Ladies and gentlemen, my beloved San Francisco Giants are two wins away from the World Series, and words cannot express how incredibly happy, ecstatic, and excited I am. After enduring a painful stretch of Giants mediocrity over the years, it has been a true joy to watch this Giants team. I can't wait for tonight's Game 4, as Madison Bumgarner takes the hill against the Phillies. Let's go Bumgarner! Let's go Giants!!!!!

---Mays, McCovey, Bonds.........and Cody Ross? Ross has been the runaway MVP for the Giants so far this postseason. He has been absolutely incredible. Stay hot, Cody!

---When he is in top form, Matt Cain draws comparisons to Tom Seaver. Cain was spectacular in Game 3, shutting down the vaunted Phillies lineup.

---Gotta love the great Brian Wilson. Wilson is an absolutely wild and crazy guy, a perfect personality for a dominant closer. Fear the Beard!

---Bruce Bochy has done an amazing job this season, and he was especially brilliant in Game 3. However, I would like to see Bochy give Pablo Sandoval a start tonight in Game 4 against Joe Blanton. For all of his struggles, it is time to get Kung Fu Panda back in the lineup.

---Also, in order to win this series, the Giants are going to need increased production from the slumping Andres Torres.

---Great moment at AT&T Park yesterday when the Giants honored their 2002 National League Pennant-winning team. It was exhilarating to see Barry Bonds receive an enormous ovation. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I LOVE Barry Bonds. Let the hate mail flow!

---I am cautiously optimistic. The Phillies are indeed a great team, and this series is far from over. But I am confident that my beloved Giants are going to the World Series. Gooooo Giants!!!!

---Now back to regularly unbiased programming.

---In the American League, the Texas Rangers are destroying the hapless New York Yankees. Personally, I would love to see a Giants-Yankees Fall Classic matchup, but through four games in the ALCS, the Rangers have been shockingly superior. In fact, the Yankees were lucky to win Game 1. Aside from one inning in Game 1, the Rangers have dominated the Bronx Bombers in every aspect.

---Cliff Lee has to be considered one of the greatest postseason pitchers in baseball history. Wow.

---The word "wow" also comes to mind when describing Josh Hamilton. I was at the old Yankee Stadium for the Home Run Derby a couple of years ago, and I was awe-struck by Hamilton's astonishing 26-home run power display. What a tremendous, all-around baseball player.

---Happy to see former Giant Bengie Molina coming up clutch for Texas. Molina was a terrific Giant, and he is a class act.

---As for the Yankees, they may have squandered any shot at coming back to win this series when they lost Mark Teixiera last night. That is a major blow to Joe Girardi's lineup. Lance Berkman and Nick Swisher are both excellent players, but they cannot fill the void left by Teixiera.

---Nonetheless, I am rooting for the Yankees tonight. I want this series to go 7.

---I will end with an appreciation of the FOX and TBS broadcasters. On FOX, Joe Buck and Tim McCarver get constantly pummeled with harsh criticism, and I just do not understand why. Buck is an easygoing, good-humored presence in the booth, and McCarver is always knowledgeable. Over on TBS, Ernie Johnson has done a terrific job alongside the equally knowledgeable Ron Darling and John Smoltz. As a diehard NBA fan, I have long been a huge admirer of Ernie Johnson for his exemplary work as host of "Inside the NBA", the best sports show on television. But even I have been surprised by the smooth transition E.J. has made into the realm of baseball broadcasting.

---Still, the best broadcasters working are Jon Miller, Duane Kuiper, Dave Flemming, and Mike Krukow. Not that I'm biased or anything.

No comments: