Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Giants Win the Pennant! The Giants Win the Pennant!


This is why I choose to live and die with my teams. Some people think I'm crazy for being such a diehard fan. And granted, there are nights after a tough loss where I literally have stomach indigestion. But for every brutally painful defeat, there is a moment of incredible euphoria. When the San Francisco Giants defeated the Phillies 3-2 in Game 6 of the NLCS, a win that sends the Giants to the World Series, I jumped in celebration. I have been a diehard Giants fan all my life. Right now, I am in a state of unbridled, gleeful ecstasy. What a moment.

The 2002 pennant-winning Giants team provided me with some of my greatest memories as a sports fan, but for me, this 2010 season has been even sweeter. Nobody expected Bruce Bochy's team to contend for a championship in 2010. They were viewed as a collection of also-rans. Guys like Pat Burrell and Aubrey Huff were considered past their prime. The experts said that the great pitching would not be enough to overcome a meager offense. That was back in April. Six months later, the Giants are four wins away from a World Series title. And I am basking in the glow of the moment. This is awesome.

A significant challenge awaits. The Texas Rangers are an outstanding team, and beating them four times will be tough. The Giants, though, are up to the task. I cannot wait for Wednesday. Gooooooooooo Giants!!!

P.S.: Thank you Juan Uribe!!!! Uribe's game-winning home run will go down as one of the greatest moments in Giants history.

No comments: