Saturday, January 23, 2010

Random observations: Conference Championship Edition


In the words of the great San Francisco Chronicle sports columnist Scott Ostler, here are my deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots:

---And then there were four. The Saints, Vikings, Colts, and Jets are all just one win away from a trip to South Beach for the Super Bowl. Rather than offering my predictions, I'll simply reveal my allegiances. Go Jets! Go Saints!

---The most fascinating matchup in the NFC Championship Game is at the quarterback position. Drew Brees always seems to get lost in the shuffle in the discussion of who's the best QB in football, and that's a shame. Brees truly is an elite QB whose place in Canton has already been secured. As for Brett Favre, well, I can't stand the guy, but there is no denying the fact that he is playing superb football right now.

---Still, when I watch Favre, I get the same feeling as when I watch Jay Leno. Just go away!

---Remember when the New York sports world was calling for the heads of Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan? Yes, sports fans always have been and always will be prisoners of the moment.

---As much as I want the Jets to win---and I think they have a real shot---it's foolish to point to the Jets' week 16 win at Indy as any kind of legitimate harbinger of things to come. Of course, that was the game in which Colts coach Jim Caldwell stirred controversy by pulling his starters in the second half, a move that helped New York claim the victory. This time around, I think it's safe to assume that we won't be seeing Matt Painter behind center for Indianapolis.

---The San Diego Chargers will probably be on the golf course all day Sunday, because watching these two conference championship games would just be too painful for the Bolts. Sadly, a shockingly early playoff exit has become an all-too-familiar sign for Chargers fans.

---Memo to FOX: Get rid of that annoying, self-conscious, completely unnecessary robot thing that you stupidly put on the screen every time you come back from commercial. I'm here to watch football, not some asinine technical gimmick.

---If the Minnesota Vikings somehow jump out to a huge lead over New Orleans on Sunday, we can surely count on Vikings coach Brad Childress to run up the score. That's the kind of guy he is.

---I'll leave you with one intriguing question: What will Peyton Manning have more of on Sunday, touchdowns or commercials?

No comments: