Thursday, January 14, 2010

More NFL Playoff Prognostications


In the words of the great David Letterman, my NFL picks have been dumber than Jay "Big Jaw" Leno. Seriously, if my prognostication skills continue to worsen, I could get hired as an NBC executive, right? Alright, enough jokes about the NBC late-night scandal. It's time to focus on some football. With no further ado, here are my predictions for the divisional round of the playoffs (home teams in all caps):

COLTS over Ravens

I am very tempted to pick the upset here. The Ravens' ground attack, led by the always electrifying Ray Rice, could be too much for the Indy defense to handle. The ferocious Ravens defense, led by Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, could pose some problems for the Colts offense. And Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco, in just his second year, is among the most unflappable QB's in the league. But I just have the feeling that Peyton Manning and company will find a way to win at home. I'm not buying the rumor that Jim Caldwell's team is flustered by the distractions caused by Caldwell's controversial decision to rest the starters in week 15. If anything, Indianapolis will be hungrier than ever, ready to silence the skeptics.

SAINTS over Cardinals

After an incredible win against the Packers last weekend, which resulted from Kurt Warner's stunningly efficient play at quarterback, the Cardinals enter this game with unmistakable swagger. The Saints, meanwhile, may be running a little low on confidence as they have limped their way into the playoffs after an underwhelming regular season finish. But New Orleans will be rejuvenated by the electric energy in the Superdome. Look for Drew Brees to throw more than his fair share of touchdown passes to Marques Colston. New Orleans will advance.

Cowboys over VIKINGS

Okay, okay, I'm tired of being proven wrong by the Dallas Cowboys. Tony Romo is maturing before our very eyes, and Wade Phillips' squad is as good a bet as any to win the NFC. So I'm picking Dallas. And yes, this is a biased pick, as nothing would make me happier than seeing Brett Favre get pummeled. Typically, I'd root for a team that has a player as classy and extraordinary as Adrian Peterson, but as long as Favre is behind center, I'm hoping for the Vikings' demise.

CHARGERS over Jets

I have been won over by Rex Ryan's passion and bravura, Mark Sanchez's swashbuckling spirit, and Darrelle Revis' explosive athleticism. Thus, I am rooting for the Jets to pull off the upset. And what an upset that would be. Realistically, I don't think they have much of a chance against a Chargers team that appears to be unstoppable. For my money, Philip Rivers, LaDanian Tomlinson, and company are the favorites in the AFC. I hope the Jets win; I expect San Diego to roll to victory.

So there you have it. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't place money on my picks.

No comments: