Friday, January 9, 2009

Random Observations on the Wonderful World of Sports


In the words of the great San Francisco Chronicle sports columnist Scott Ostler, here are my deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots:

---Congratulations to the Florida Gators, champions of the college football world. Well, sort of.

---Yes, Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, and the Gators beat Oklahoma in impressive fashion in last night's title game. But, until we get a playoff system, the true best team in college football will never be known.

---Florida obviously has a great case as to why they are deserving champions. Then again, so does USC, Utah, and Texas.

---BCS: Braindead Computer Stupidity.

---Warning to NFL scouts: You underestimate Tim Tebow at your own peril.

---This weekend offers fantastic divisional playoff games. I'll take the Ravens to go into Tennessee and knock off the Titans. I like the Giants, Panthers, and Steelers to win at home.

---I wouldn't be completely shocked if Donovan McNabb and the Eagles walk out of the Meadowlands with a victory. Number 5 is playing superb football, and Philly seems to have the momentum. With this being said, I am confident that the defending champs will prevail. The Eagles seem to be the trendy pick, and the G-Men will use that as motivation. The Giants are still my pick to win the Super Bowl.

---I think San Diego's Cinderella story comes to an end this weekend at Heinz Field, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Darren Sproles and his stunning wild-card weekend performance against the Colts. He's football's Muggsy Bogues, and he was an unstoppable force against the Indy defense.

---Not only do I like Baltimore this weekend, I like them to go to the Super Bowl. Giants-Ravens. You heard it hear first.

---Christmas is over, so why was Chad Pennington handing out so many presents to the Ravens defense over the weekend? Bah-dum-bum. Thank you so much, I'll be here all week. Enjoy the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitresses!

---I admit that I was totally wrong about the Arizona Cardinals. I thought they would get beat rather handily by Matt Ryan and the Falcons. I was impressed by the Cardinals' performance. But I'm still not sold. I'll take the risk of being wrong again: Carolina blows away Arizona tomorrow.

---Happy New Year is not something the Boston Celtics want to hear right now. After losing six of their last eight, KG and company wish they could turn the clock back to 2008.

---And they are in jeopardy of losing again tonight against an outstanding Cavs team. Cleveland is a whopping 18-0 at Quicken Loans Arena, and they will be ready to roll come game time.

---The Celtics will be fine, but it is important that they play well tonight. This is a statement game for both teams. A Celtics win would show that their recent woes are just temporary, and that they remain the team to beat. A Cavaliers win would give Mike Brown's team a legitimate argument for being top dogs in the East.

---Speaking of statement victories, Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets convincingly defeated Kobe and the Lakers in La-La land on Tuesday. Call me delusional, but I believe that the Hornets will be representing the West in the Finals.

---If you haven't fainted already, here is another bold prediction: I think the Hornets will be playing the Utah Jazz in the Western conference finals.

---Yes, I know that if the playoffs were to commence today, Jerry Sloan would be coaching from his couch. But the season does not end today, and the only reason the Jazz are currently out of the playoff picture is because of early season injuries to Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer, their two best players. When they are fully healthy, look out.

---There is no such thing as a good loss, but I liked the effort I saw out of my shorthanded Warriors in our last two games, tough losses against Utah and the Lakers. Now, Golden State needs to make sure we hold those leads down the stretch.

---I hope I'll be seeing a Warriors victory when I see them play in person on Jan. 19 against the Wizards.

---Sad news: Charles Barkley is taking a leave of absence from TNT following his DUI arrest. In no way do I condone Sir Charles' recent brush with the law, but he will be sorely missed. Barkley is far and away my favorite personality in all of sports broadcasting.

---Speaking of great sports broadcasters, Dicky V did an awesome job calling NBA action, and Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson did a great job working college. I hope ESPN does this announcer swap thing more often.

---Favorite Dicky V line during the Heat-Nuggets game came after a spectacular Dwayne Wade play: Oh, get him out of this league!!!! He's too good!!!! He's too good!!!!

---Can anyone explain the mystery that is Boston College athletics? First, Al Skinner's hoops team upsets North Carolina in Chapel Hill, only to lose at home to Harvard two nights later. Then BC fired head football coach Jeff Jagodzinski, simply because he interviewed with the Jets. Huh???

---Manny by the Bay? Unlikely, as sources say the slugger's demands are too pricey for the Giants. Fine, but I only have one request. Please, Manny, do not go back to the hated Dodgers. Either get out of the division or come to 24 Willie Mays Plaza.

---As a diehard Giants fan, I would love to see Manny sport the orange and black. Yes, he is a drama queen who causes several distractions. But if we can handle the distractions created by the great Barry Bonds, we can handle anything.

---One final thought: Matt Millen? NBC analyst? Is he going to reveal the top ten ways to flush a team down the toilet?


No comments: