Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Isner-Mahut: Epic Classic at Wimbledon


As I write this, the longest match in tennis history is still going on, as the fifth set alone approaches its seventh hour. John Isner, the freakishly tall and lanky American, and Frenchman Nicolas Mahut, are locked in a 50-50 fifth-set tie. Let me repeat that: 50-50. FIFTY-FIFTY!!!!! And we thought the 16-14 fifth set between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick in last year's Wimbledon final was long.

This instant classic at Wimbledon is a reminder of why tennis is such a beautiful, thrilling sport. No sport provides a tougher test of mental and physical fortitude. Isner and Mahut have been engaged in a game of anything you can do I can do better for nearly seven hours now, and neither has taken an extended break of any kind. No bathroom breaks, no breaks to heal any injuries with a trainer, nothing. Isner and Mahut have to be experiencing unprecedented exhaustion, yet they continue to persevere. This, ladies and gentlemen, is awesome drama.

In all likelihood, we will never see anything like this ever again, in any sport. Call me crazy, but I don't think we'll be seeing any 55-inning games in baseball any time soon. So while sports fans are often accused of being prisoners of the moment, it is impossible to exaggerate the historical significance of this Wimbledon battle. Now if you would excuse me, I need to go regain my breath.

No comments: