Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Random Observations on the Wonderful World of Sports


In the words of the great San Francisco Chronicle sports columnist Scott Ostler, here are my deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots:

---Congratulations to your 2009 Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. After that toe-tapping, game-clinching touchdown catch by Santonio Holmes, I am convinced that he should participate on "Dancing with the Stars."

---I wouldn't rank Super Bowl XLIII as high as last year's epic between the Giants and Pats, but the game surely featured one of the most exciting fourth quarters in Super Bowl history.

---With an NFL record six championships, the Pittsburgh Steelers are, for my money, the strongest organization in professional sports.

---Despite the crushing defeat, the Arizona Cardinals will go down in history as having one of the most unexpected playoff runs in NFL history.

---I hear that Larry Fitzgerald plans on joining the Niners. What, you don't believe me???

---Solid coverage by NBC on Super Bowl Sunday. However, there's just something unsettling and odd about listening to Matt Millen revealing his keys to the game. Fair or not, I don't think he will ever be taken seriously again as an NFL analyst.

---Okay, I'll admit it: My picks were terrible during these playoffs. But hey, I still picked better than Chris Mortensen, right?

---I like Mort-----he's a knowledgeable football guy-----but he is Mr. Unreliable as a reporter.

---Magic Nation is holding their collective breath. Because if Jameer Nelson decides to undergo season-ending surgery, Orlando's title hopes take a massive hit.

---Sure, Kobe scored 61 at the Garden, but don't rejoice so fast, Lakers fans. Andrew Bynum is out again, for a minimum of 2 months. There should be a bet in Vegas every year on who gets injured first, Andrew Bynum or Greg Oden?

---Lakers-Celtics on Thursday night. Goooooooo Celtics!!!

---Now that Jameer Nelson's appearance in the All Star Game is very much in doubt, it is widely assumed that either Mo Williams or Ray Allen will take his place. As much as I admire Allen and his silky-smooth jump shot (he hit another game-winner tonight at Philadelphia), I mark my ballot for Mo Williams. As out-of-this-world as LeBron has been, it is the addition of Mo Williams that has made the Cavs a legitimate championship contender.

---ESPN.com's J.A. Adande reports that the Suns are shopping potential trades for Steve Nash, Shaquille O'Neal, and Amare Stoudamire. Whoa!!! What's next---the Celtics placing the Big 3 on the trading block?

---If the Six Flags theme parks decide to create a new roller coaster, I suggest they call it the Wake Forest. Dino Gaudio's team has had more highs and lows this season than a Mariah Carey tune.

---Rumor has it that Bob Knight is interested in the Georgia head coaching vacancy. Part of me would like to see Coach Knight stay at ESPN. His trademark irascible personality serves him well as an analyst.

---Manny by the Bay? I certainly hope so. It's probably still a longshot, but Manny Ramirez would make my beloved Giants instant title contenders.

---In his new book, Joe Torre is stirring controversy over his allegations toward Brian Cashman and the Steinbrenner family. In the excerpt that I read in Sports Illustrated, Torre makes the Steinbrenners come across as untrustworthy and standoffish. What a shock, because when we think Steinbrenner, we think classy.

---Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal played another epic match at the Australian Open over the weekend, with Nadal once again getting the best of Federer. As I wrote back in July, this is the rivalry that tennis has been waiting for. However, Roger Federer needs to eke out a win over Nadal at some point or this rivalry will soon become too predictable.

No comments: