Friday, November 21, 2008

Random Observations on the Wonderful World of Sports


In the words of the great San Francisco Chronicle sports columnist Scott Ostler, here are my deep thoughts, cheap shots, and bon mots:

---Today is a glorious day, and I am a very happy man. Why? Jamal Crawford is a member of the Golden State Warriors.

---What a spectacular trade for my Warriors. I'm biased, yes, but allow me to explain my reasoning. Al Harrington was a key part of our team the last couple of seasons, but this year, for whatever reason, he demanded to be traded. Harrington became a distraction for our team, and Nellie had no choice but to keep Al on the bench.

---So in essence, it's like we got a free player. And Jamal Crawford is not just any other player. Crawford is an All-Star caliber player and a terrific scorer who will mesh very well with Monta Ellis when he returns. In the meantime, Crawford will be a great asset along with Captain Jack, Corey Maggette, Andris Biedrins, Kelenna Azubuike, and rookie sensation Anthony Morrow.

---As for the Knicks, I'm not sure what Donnie Walsh was thinking. I know they wanted to clear cap space, but by trading away Crawford in addition to shipping Zach Randolph to the Clippers, Mike D'Antoni's team has lost their two best players. The Knicks have been playing fantastic basketball, but with these trades, their playoff chances just took a hit.

---Maybe they're just counting the days until LeBron becomes a free agent. As I've said before, there is a great chance of LeBron making his way to the Big Apple in 2010.

---Okay, I'll admit the Lakers look great, much to my dismay. However, I find it ridiculous that many analysts, including Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley, say LA is better than Boston. Huh? If my memory is correct, I think the Celtics beat the Lakers in the Finals last year. And call me crazy, but it doesn't look like the Celtics plan on slowing down any time soon, especially following last night's impressive dismantling of A.I. and the Pistons.

---Great football weekend starts tomorrow, in college and in the pros.

---Memo to Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson: Falling asleep in meetings, really? Being deactivated for a big rivalry game at Pittsburgh? This must be some kind of joke, right?

---Actually, I don't blame the Bengals' wide receiver for his disruptive antics. After all, who in their right mind would want to escape from the disaster that is the Cincinnati Bengals?

---Sorry Cincy fans, I couldn't resist. Even though, as a Niners fan, I really do not have the authority to be talking trash.

---Speaking of the Niners, we travel to Big D to take on the Cowboys this Sunday. America's (most overrated) team has been dominating the headlines this week, with the reinstatement of Adam "Pacman" Jones.

---Yuck. C'mon, Commissioner Goodell, have you lost your toughness?

--- Here are my Week 12 NFL picks, every one of which I feel confident about, with the exception of my weekly homer pick: 49ers, Eagles, Browns, Bucs, Bills, Bears, Titans, Dolphins, Jaguars, Broncos, Panthers, Giants, Redskins, Colts, Saints.

---Exciting day of college action tomorrow as well. Texas Tech-Oklahoma has instant classic written all over it, with the marquee matchup at quarterback between Heisman candidates Graham Harrell and Sam Bradford. I give the edge to Bradford and the Sooners.

---I honestly believe Bob Stoops' team will win, but I am also picking Oklahoma for selfish reasons. Because if Oklahoma wins, there will be a logjam of deserving one loss teams. And you know what that means: messy BCS controversy!

---Anytime the BCS looks bad, I am a happy camper. But I will not be fully satisfied until action is taken. I'm with President-elect Barack Obama: We need a playoff system, ahora mismo!!!

---The Big Game is also this weekend. I'm a fan of both Stanford and Cal, but I am pulling for Jahvid Best and the Golden Bears.

---College hoops is back and better than ever, and the 2K Sports Coaches vs. Cancer tournament in Madison Square Garden experienced this season's first major upset, as Darren Collison and the fourth-ranked UCLA Bruins fell to John Beilein's Michigan Wolverines. The Bruins will be fine, but this loss does pose some concern for a team with championship aspirations.

---We will know more about many of the top teams during the upcoming Maui tournament, which always makes for great drama.

---TJB's Sports Universe makes it's way to the Sunshine State for Thanksgiving Week, and I will be at the Bucks-Magic game on Monday. My report from Amway Arena in Orlando is coming your way next week.


No comments: